Switching power supply is also called switched mode power supply, switching-mode power supply, SMPS or switcher. It is an electronic power supply that incorporates a switching regulator to convert electrical power efficiently. It adopts modern power electronic technology to control the time ratio of switch tube's opening and closing and to stabilize the output voltage. Switching power supply (switched mode power supply) is generally composed of pulse width modulation (PWM) control IC and MOSFET. It is usually employed to provide a regulated output voltage efficiently, typically at a level different from the input voltage. Switching power supply (switched mode power supply) can be divided into AC/DC and DC/DC. DC/DC converter has realized to be modular, and already received recognition from clients both at home and abroad.
Conditions of Switched Mode Power Supply (Switching Power Supply):
Power electronic devices work in the switch state, not in linear state.
2. High Frequency
Power electronic devices work in high frequency, not in low frequency that is close to the power frequency.
Switch power outputs DC rather than AC.
Differences between Switching Power Supply and Linear Power Supply:
1. Compared to the linear power supply, the cost of switched mode power supply also increases along with the output power, but the growth rates are different.
2. Unlike the linear power supply, the pass transistor of switching power supply continually switches between low-dissipation, full-on and full-off states. The switched mode power supply spends little time in the high dissipation transitions which can minimize wasted energy.
3. Switching power supply dissipates no power. Voltage regulation can be achieved by changing the ratio of on-to-off time. While the linear power supply regulates the output voltage by dissipating power in the pass transistor continually.
4. Switched mode power supply owns higher power conversion efficiency. It may also be substantially smaller and lighter than the linear supply due to the smaller transformer size and weight.
5. Switching regulators are used as replacements for the linear regulators when higher efficiency, smaller size and lighter weight are required.
Chengdu General Rectifier Research Institute is a professional manufacturer and supplier of switching power supply (switched mode power supply) in China. Our company mainly produces soft switching electroplating power supply and soft switching anodizing power supply. Our products have been exported to USA, Germany, Australia, Singapore, India, Brazil, Iran, Vietnam, Kazakhstan and Malaysia, etc.